On September 8, 2018 we had our Reconocimiento and Scholarship Awards Gala and celebrated our 25th anniversary. For those who attended the event, we thank you for your support. We hope you felt the abundance of positive energy that was exuberated at the ballroom.
As you know, our event raises funds for Latina scholarships. We believe that together we can help advance the lives of Latinas in our community and create an environment in which they have the tools to overcome social and economic barriers while realizing their full potential.
- Professional Achievement: Arline Santiago
- Inspirational Leadership: Juanita Rodriguez, RN.
- Volunteer Service: Suliany Vargas
- Youth Leadership: Adriana Mendoza
Congratulate to the Scholarship Awardees:
- Annette Maldonado
- Cristal Santiago
- Damaris Rivera
- Geena Cruz
- Pricilla Paredes
It is exemplary Latinas, like our awardees, that are helping to pave the way for other Latinas and making this world a better place for all.
There is much preparation and cost that occurs with such an extravagant event. Our gala could not have taken place if it were not for the support of our sponsors. We graciously thank you. Our sponsors were:
- HCR Home Care (main sponsor)
- WHAM 13
- Kelsi Dunning
- Efrain & Michelle Rivera
And while there are so many people to thank for the success of this special occasion — without a doubt, a huge thanks goes to our keynote speaker, John Quiñones, Journalist and TV host of “What Would You Do?” He was captivating and inspiring! He spoke of his colorful life and stories that were funny, witty, sad, and yes, heartfelt. He talked about his childhood growing up poor and a Latino in San Antonio, Texas, and he spoke about the support of his family and the strong bond they had growing up. He spoke of his unwavering desires and struggles of becoming a television news correspondent and his hair-raising experiences covering dangerous international news, such as the Nicaragua war, his attempts to help save the homeless children from the sewers of Bogotá, and the modern children slave in the Dominican Republic. At the end of his keynote address, John received a much deserved standing ovation.
John also took the time to interact with many of our attendees. He freely mingled with people and took tons of photos with groups, individuals and selfies. We quickly learned, in a humorously way, that he favored having the camera flash on for pictures, which we lovingly mocked him for.
Special thanks to our distinguished head table: Mayor Warren, who presented Latinas Unidas with a proclamation; past County Executive, Maggie Brooks, who has supported Latinas Unidas from the beginning; Senator Joe Robach, NY State Senator and long-time supporter of Latinas Unidas; Laura Martini, CCO of HCR Home Care; Joann Santos, President of Latinas Unidas; Daisy Algarin, past President of Latinas Unidas, current Board Member and Chair of this year’s gala; and last but not least, Norma Holland, Rochester’s 13 WHAM well-known Latina anchorwomen.
We also thank the committee who helped put this event together. The work and fine-tuning details that goes into such an event to ensure it flows smoothly and without skipping a beat is amazing! Kudos to the 2018 RA Committee Members:
- Arleen Hyland,
- Carla Perez,
- Damaris Rivera,
- Evelyn Holmes,
- Iveth Reynolds,
- Ivonne Ponicsan,
- Jeanette Perez Colby,
- Jennifer Simmons,
- Joann Santos,
- Leida Martinez,
- Mai Ho-Carballo,
- Maribel Torres,
- Raquel Serrano,
- Rosalie Remarais,
- Shirley Rivera,
- Zuleima Martinez,
- Daisy Algarin – Chairperson.
We also want to thank those listed below for their contributions in helping with the success of the Latinas Unidas 25th Anniversary Gala:
- The Joseph A. Floreano Rochester Riverside Convention Center,
- The Algarin Family,
- Christa Construction,
- City Newspaper,
- El Mensajero,
- Eastman Savings and Loan,
- Excellus BlueCross BlueShield,
- DJ-Styles P,
- Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School,
- Fabulous Flowers and Gift Baskets,
- Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce,
- The Henry Soublet Family,
- The Hyatt Regency Rochester,
- Imagen Magazine,
- La Voz/Minority Reporter,
- Landsman Development,
- Mamajuana Restaurant & Lounge,
- Mercedes Simmons- Pretty Girl Productions,
- Nazareth College,
- Poder 97.1 FM,
- RIT/Center for Urban Entrepreneurship,
- Rochester Gas & Electric,
- The Rochester Area Community Foundation
- TruForm Manufacturing,
- Working Art Media.
We would be remiss if we did not thank the Latinas Unidas Board Members. These ladies unselfishly give of their time to strengthen the positive presence of Latinas. Without their commitment and hard work, Latinas Unidas would not be as successful as it is. Board members are:
- Joann Santos, President and Board Chair
- Rosalie Rivera Remarais, Vice President and Chair
- Janice Correa, Secretary
- Lourdes Marcano-Stokes, Treasurer
- Daisy Algarin, Past President, Board Chair and Reconocimiento Chair
- Arleen Hyland, Assistant Technology
- Kelly Mullaney, Technology and Membership
- Beverly Colon, Finance
- Maricela Guzman, Finance
- Raquel Serrano, Public Relations
- Jeanette Colby, Marketing and Chair of ¡Soy Unica! ¡Soy Latina! Rally
- Dr. Marielena Velez de Brown, Events
- Zuleima Martinez-Ramos, Scholarship
If you were unable to make it, we thank you for your past support; however, stay tuned! Check our website and follow us on social media @LatinasUnidas. We look forward to seeing you in the 2019th Reconocimiento & Scholarship Awards and the activities in between!