Latinas Unidas is an organization dedicated to uniting Latina women from different segments of the Greater Rochester Area, who share common concerns and interest affecting Latina Women.
It started as a grass roots effort in December, 1993 and since that time has grown in reputation and number to more than 400 supporters and a Steering Committee.
It started with a unique governance model in the sense that the leadership is shared by steering committee members, where community projects were reviewed for relevance and impact.
In January 2008 Latinas Unidas was incorporated (Latinas Unidas, Inc.) and it is now a 501(c)(3) organization governed by a Board of Directors elected every 2 years.
Membership is open to all who support our mission.
- Latinas Unidas becomes Latinas Unidas, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization.
- We celebrate our “Quinceañero” anniversary during the Reconocimiento Awards.
- The Reconocimiento Awards adopts a special Latina doll design by local artist.
- Fund raising event with national TV host Daisy Martínez for the Latina Women Scholarship Fund.
- Latinas Unidas hosts with other local organizations the Seminar “How to Negotiate… In Business and in Life” with international Latina speaker Maria Marín.
- ¡Soy Unica! ¡Soy Latina! Rally reaches sold out (300) attendance record.
- Latinas Unidas is recruited to lead ¡Soy Unica! ¡Soy Latina! Rally for Girls.
- Latinas Unidas celebrates 10 years!
- Latinas Unidas partners in a public campaign with Eastman Kodak, Wegmans Food Market and WOKR TV for Hispanic Heritage Month and Women’s HistoryMonth.
- Latinas Unidas receives the Buffalo Hispanics in Action Award.
- Latina Women Scholarship is created with the Women’s Foundation of Genesee Valley. To date the fund has over $67,000 in pledges and donations.
- Latinas Unidas and the Girl Scouts of Genesee Valley partner to celebrate an annual Three Kings Day celebration. Over 300 children attend the celebration.
- Annual Reconocimiento Awards is taken to a luncheon event. Over 250 guests attend.
Latinas Unidas is honored with the Mayors Unsung Hero Award.
Café con Leche Series: Outreach programs that provide information and support to women in Spanish. Information is shared in a support group setting. Topics; Cancer, Career Search, Domestic Violence and Financial Literacy.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Calendar of events. Distributed to the Greater Rochester community.
- Sponsored Women of Hope Poster Exhibit: 12 posters depicting successful Latinas in different professions. Link Gallery City Hall.
- First Reconocimiento Awards is hosted.
- First community event is held.
- First information gathering is held.